TECHNIQUES OF SCIENTIFIC MANAGEMENT
TECHNIQUES OF SCIENTIFIC MANAGEMENT-
1. FUNCTIONAL FOREMANSHIP-
Functional Foremanship is an extension of the principal of Division of Work or specialisation to the shop floor. Each worker has to take orders from eight foremen in the process of production.Foremen should have intelligence,education, tact,judgement,special knowledge, energy,honesty etc.So Taylor proposed eight specialists.
ROLE OF FOREMEN UNDER PLANNING INCHARGE-
- Instruction Card Clerk- Drafting instructions for workers.
- Route Clerk- Specifying the route for production.
- Time & Cost Clerk- Preparation of Time & Cost Sheet.
- Disciplinarian- Ensuring Discipline.
ROLE OF FOREMEN UNDER PRODUCTION INCHARGE-
- Speed Boss- Timely & accurate completion of job.
- Gang Boss- Keeping Machines & tools ready.
- Repair Boss- Ensuring proper working conditions of machines.
- Inspectors- Checking the quality of work.
2. STANDARDISATION & SIMPLIFICATION OF WORK-
- Standardisation of work refers to the process of setting standards for every business activity.
- Simplification of Work aims at eliminating unnecessary diversity of products. it results in saving cost of labour , machines & tools.
3. METHOD STUDY-
This study is done to know the best method of doing the job. It helps in reducing the distance travelled by materials, and brings improvements in handling ,transporting,inspection & storage of raw materials & goods.
4. MOTION STUDY-
It is the study of movement of an operator or a machine to eliminate useless motions & find out the best method of doing a job. The purpose of motion study is (i) to find & eliminate wasteful motions among the workers,(ii) to design best method of doing various jobs.
5. TIME STUDY-
It refers to determine the standard time required to complete a particular activity.This study is conducted with the help of a stopwatch.
6. FATIGUE STUDY-
It refers to determine the duration and frequency of rest intervals to complete a particular job. The rest refreshes the workers. They work again with their full capacity.The main objective is to maintain the efficiency level of workers.
7. DIFFERENTIAL PIECE WAGE SYSTEM-
Taylor has advised the adoption of differential wage system.It is a technique which differentiates between efficient and less efficient workers.It rewards the efficient workers and motivates the less efficient ones to improve their performance.